National Rural Health Mission
National Rural Health Mission launched in April, 2005
Rejuvenate the Health delivery System
Universal Health Care
- Quality care
Reduction of Infant Mortality Rate (IMR)
Reduction of Maternal Mortality Ratio (MMR)
Reduction of Total Fertility Rate (TFR)
Universal Access to Public Health service viz. Womens Health/Child Health, Water Sanitation Hygiene and Nutrition.
Prevention and Control of Communicable and Non Communicable Disease,
Population Stabilization, Gender & Demographic balance
Main Streaming AYUSH
Promotion of Healthy Lifestyle.
* Improve Infrastructure
* Augment manpower
* Improve management
* Flexibility to states to deploy funds
The Paradigm Shift
� Community Participation
� Flexible Funding at all levels
� Governance reform
Logistics & Procurement processes.
Decision making processes
Water and sanitation
New Paradigms under NRHM -
* Community Link Worker ASHA Supervisor /ASHA
* Involvement of PRIs through Village Health & Sanitation Committee
* Reforms in Medical Education Compulsory Rural posting of Doctors
* Integration of AYUSH
* Better programme management through recruitment of Management Experts, Accountants, Computer Experts
Action Taken to Reduction MMR
* Early Registration (1st Check-up) before 12 weeks, *2nd Check-up 16-20 weeks, *3rd check-up 28-32 weeks * 4th Check-up 36 weeks
* Promoting Institutional Delivery: Identifying the Institution for delivery as per merit.
* 3 Post Natal Check-up: Within 48 hours/within 1st week/within 6 weeks
* Involvement of ASHAs equipped with drug kit and pregnancy kit for maternal and child health care.
* Support to ASHAs by appointing 18 ASHA Supervisor.
* Organizing Village Health & Nutrition Day every month.
* Micro Birth Planning by the ANM for all the pregnant women
* Mamoni Nutritional Support of Rs. 1000/- to pregnant women an initiative by Govt. of Assam.
* Cash assistance to mothers under JSY scheme.
* Encouraging mothers to stay in the Hospital up to 48 hours after delivery to prevent post partum hemorrhage by providing Baby Kit (Mamata Kit).
* Training of ANMs/Staff Nurse for SBA
* Training of Medical Officers on EmOC/BEmOC and LSAS
* All the SCs have been provided with SC Kit A and B.
* Up-gradation of Sub Center for Delivery (191 SCs taken up in 14 high focus districts).
* Rural Health Practitioners have been posted in the Sub-centres
* Compulsory one year Rural Posting for MBBS doctors to get admission in the PG courses.
* Construction of Labour Room/ Ward in PHC/SD/SHC and operationalizing as 24X7.
* Up-gradation of SDCH/ CHC to First Referral (FRU) Unit having specialist doctor with provision of C-section operation and Blood Storage facility.
* Strengthening of referral mechanism from village to Health Institutions through 108 Mrityunjoy Emergency Referral Transport and by providing ambulances to health institutions.
Services to be available in 24 X 7 PHCs
* 24 hours delivery normal and assisted
* Essential newborn care
* Referral of emergencies
* Antenatal care and routine immunization of children and pregnant women
* Post natal care
* Family planning services (IUCD, OCP and CC)
* Essential Laboratory services.
To Reduce IMR
ุ IMNCI Training of AWW & ANMs
ุ NSSK training to the Health Care Provider working in 24x7 PHC.
ุ Constructing New Born Care Corner along with labour rooms of 24x7 PHC.
ุ Strengthening Routine Immunization with special focus in Difficult areas.
ุ Special Vit. A and Deworming drive bi-annually.
ุ Establishment of Sick Newborn Care Unit in District Hospital (6 functional)
ุ Establishment of Newborn Stabilization Unit in all the SDCH/ CHC/ PHC, manpower training under process)
ุ Setting up of Nutritional Rehabilitation Center for malnourished children.
To Reduce TFR
ุ Fixed day sterilization in all the District Hospital.
ุ Special monthly sterilization camp in CHC/ PHC
ุ IUCD insertion facility in all Govt. hospital and Sub Center
ุ No scalpel Vasectomy (NSV) camp cum training
ุ Training of Medical Officers and O&G Doctors on Mini Lap and Laparoscopic Sterilization
ุ Training of ANMs, Staff Nurse and Medical Officer on IUCD insertion.